Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup 2010: Day One

Because I have a job, watching every game of the World Cup isn't going to be an option this year (as it wasn't in 2006, but could have been in '02 were they not all played overnight). However, I intend to watch as much as I can, which will probably come down to one game a day plus all of the American games, at least during the group stages. For some of the games I might do a live-blog of sorts (it'll post after the game ends, but reactions will be written down live). Anyway, here's what I saw on day one.

South Africa 1-1 Mexico

I actually only was able to catch the first hour or so of the game and so missed Mexico's tying goal in the 79th. I think this is a fair result for both teams; South Africa looked like they had no business being in this tournament for most of the first half, but seemed to put things together a bit after the break, at least enough to generate a few decent chances in addition to their goal, a nice counterattack that came largely against the run of play. Mexico were probably the better side overall but never really seemed that threatening.

I didn't see France-Uruguay but I don't seem to have missed much. Eight years to the day that France were eliminated from the '02 World Cup without having scored a single goal, the two nations played another goalless draw, just as they did five days earlier in that Cup in a game that was probably the least exciting of its tournament.

More detailed posts will come in following days when I get to watch a bit more. I have to go to a wedding this weekend so you'll probably get two posts on Sunday, because I'm sure anyone is reading this.

No comments: